Friday, December 14, 2007

Love, Millenial Style

What a turd! That's all I could think, and I'm afraid I verbalized that to her as well! "The boy" broke my baby's heart last night. Dustin, the new boyfriend that Kaitlyn was head-over-heels-texting-all-the-time with, broke up with her last night.

What bothered me was not that he did, I knew it was coming. It's inevitable at this age. It was her first REAL SERIOUS crush, but it was doomed from the start. He lived in a town about 30 minutes away. They hardly ever saw each other anyway and his parents weren't real keen on the relationship to begin with. It was doomed.

No, what bothered me was HOW he did it. I'm sure you can guess. In this day of technology and all its wonders I'm sure you can figure it out. Yep, that's right! The turd texted her! In my day, it was bad form if one broke up with you over the phone. "You have to do it in person" I was taught in Junior High School. "No, you can't CALL him on the phone and break up with him" my best friend chided at me.

How did we go from that to texting your breakup?

This Millennial Generation has me quite perplexed sometimes. I have done a ton of reading about them. I got turned onto it while completing my MBA because I learned quickly that Gen Y'ers were going to be my challenge - not my bosses who are all baby boomers and will be retired. So, about a year ago I started reading everything I could on the subject. I even have my own Facebook, and indeed this blog, as an attempt to understand the generation that I am raising in my home as well as in my workplace. But, COME ON PEOPLE....TEXTING??? I mean really!!! Stop the madness! How insensitive. How cold.

So, here I am trying to be a sympathetic mother, telling her all the right things like "He didn't deserve you!" and "You don't want to be with a guy who could break up like that anyway" - when it was my husband who later shared some real wisdom with me (which I later shared with her). He said - Well, at least she's going through it now as opposed to waiting until college, like I did, and then being old enough yet stupid enough to marry the first girl I dated. He's right. And when I shared it with her, her real wisdom came through. She said "I know, mom, you have to be willing to risk a broken heart to grow and learn and finally find the right one for you."

That's my profoundly smart and brilliantly beautiful daughter!

Signed...Kaitlyn's very proud Mom

No comments: