Sunday, January 25, 2009

Another Movie Update

So the Oscar's were announced this past week, and since they were we've seen 3 movies in 3 days. Yes, we either crazy or have too much time on our hands (or a little of both I fear). Here's our movie viewing so far:

Benjamin Button - Forrest Gump meets ET. I know the academy loves big life-stories like this one, but I am not sure it is worthy of a best picture nod. It was a good movie, but tooooooo long. It is nearly 3 hours long. I liked it, it wasn't a waste of my time, but Brad Pitt's acting left something to be desired. He felt detached and emotionless. I couldn't figure out if it was his character or his acting. But considering the character, I think it was the acting that was flawed. Anyway, don't let that stop you. It's a movie worthy of seeing, just not worthy of an oscar...

Milk - Excellent movie, I just loved it. Even though I knew how it was going to end, I was engaged and felt as though I was living the movement. Personally, I'm glad that we finally have a mainstream effort at illuminating the plight of the GLBT community. This movie goes a long way to shed the light on the injustice that their community has suffered, and continues to suffer.

Slumdog Millionaire - As much as I liked Milk, this movie is my favorite so far of the Best Picture nominees. The cinematography was spectacular, the storytelling fascinating, the characters compelling. An amazing movie with a no-name cast. You've likely not heard of anyone in this movie, but you'll leave not being able to get their characters out of your mind. Go see this movie!!!

I still need to see The Reader and Frost/Nixon before I can make my prediction on best picture. I have lots of other movies to see before February 22nd...so I hope you all don't mind my recaps as they come!

Tell me what you've thought of these movies?

2 comments:

Heather T said...

I haven't seen Benjamin Button yet, but I have a feeling I'll be disappointed. I really didn't like Forrest Gump, so what are the chances?

Jon said...

One of my other friends who is also a movie buff and knows of my "patience issue" has warned me not to see Benjamin Button. It's bad enough that the movie is 2 hours and 40 minutes long, but do they have show 30 minutes of commercials and previews?

I don't go to the movies often. The previews are the main reason. Have you ever had to watch so many previews that you completely forgot what you came to see? It makes me want to scream.

What ever happened to one hour and forty five minute movies? I'm old and my ass gets numb for God's sake! (And that 44oz diet Coke I always buy because it's only 25 cents more than the small doesn't help either.)

Wait, whose blog is this anyway? LOL