Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Just checking in...

Many of you have said you're following the blog (thank you) and were wondering what's up since the last post.  We didn't really have much to report, but yesterday we finally learned when Chris will start chemo back up again.  January 27th is the day.

Here's what we know right now.  He'll have another scan the day before he starts chemo again.  We'll review the results of that with the oncology people on the 27th before the chemo appointment.  Hopefully we'll see little to no progression in the cancer with this "chemo holiday" and if we're really lucky we'll maybe see some shrinkage (which is what I'm focusing my energy on as an outcome). It would be great if that cardiac arrest were worth it in some small way!  :)

The next round of chemo will be CPT-11 and Erbitux. With this combo Chris will probably start looking more like a chemo patient than the handsome man we all know and love.  Sadly, he'll probably feel more like one too. 

He's going to lose his hair which is no big deal, but I'm worried about my drains.  I mean, really, has anyone looked at my thinning hair lately?  I don't know how much more hair my drains can take!  Better get more draino!  :) 

He will also get an acne-like rash that can sometimes be painful and pustule-like. YUK! Sounds like he'll look like he's in full-blown puberty!! He will also likely experience fatigue and even malaise...sounding more like a teenager all the time!  haha!  I always wondered what he was like during those turbulent teen years... Sorry, Chris, but you know I love to have fun at your expense :)  

Oh and don't forget about the standard nausea, diarrhea, constipation, and myriad of other wonderful side effects. But that's the price we pay to get him back to cancer-free, and in the grand scheme of things, I think it's a small price to pay.

In the mean-time, I'm enjoying the fact that he's feeling good right now because he's not doing chemo.  Since we have no control over that...it makes sense to enjoy it while we can, right?  I'm learning to just take one day at a time and not think too far down the "what-if" road.  None of that matters as much as today matters.  So, today, I'm happy that he's feeling good.

Thank you all for your continued care, concern, and support.  We are very fortunate to have so many friends, the outpouring of love from you all has overwhelmed us.

Julia (and Chris)

No comments: